Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Roadside Stands . . .

 
We have benefit of a wonderful City Farmer's Market.
We also have benefit of many Local Roadside Stands
located here and there, not far from our home.
 
Each, both are wonderful.
This is a post to honor the local farmer
and summertime roadside stands.
 
The other day we took some time to visit a few roadside stands,
Sodini's Blueberry farm was one of our stops
 
 
 you can pick your own blueberries or purchase already picked

we purchased already picked and started eating them right out of the box 

Shortly after arriving home
I made a yummy Blueberry Torte for starters.
I'll be making Blueberry Muffins next.
River Road Roadside Stand
fresh veggies daily

Just a hop, skip and a jump
really not far from our home, there is a small veggie stand.

I drive by this stand when leaving the house to go out and about 
and drive right by when I am returning home.
Perfect place to make a quick stop
to pick up some fresh veggies for our evening meal.
can you believe it, only 25 cents each

Naan Bread, Veggie Pizza
I cut up some zucchini and summer squash,
 and began to saute' the veggies
with sliced onions, peppers, tomatoes.

I brought out a cookie sheet,
 added a bit of olive oil to the Naan bread,
sprinkled some pepper cheese on the bread,
added the veggies, added more cheese on top,
  set the oven at 400 degrees
and baked the Naan bread, veggie pizza
for about 8-9 minutes.

no doubt about it
YUM

 our favorite sweet corn stand wasn't opened on
Maple island Road
but right down the road we found another
and it is a gem

the photos say it all

this stand was totally self serve

one red money box, a few signs and some corn

loved this, one size bag for 1 dozen and a different sized bag for 2 dozen
I was over the moon at this tackle box, tool box, make shift money box
duct tape signage works too

this was the first corn pick of the season,
very young corn is truly my favorite
I bet the next pick will be perfect

Michigan Home Grown Sweet Corn
 
 
Zucchinis terrific!
Like bunnies, prolific!
author unknown
~
The trouble is, you cannot grow just one zucchini.  Minutes after you
plant a single seed, hundreds of zucchini will barge out of the ground
and sprawl around the garden, menacing the other vegetables. At
night, you will be able to hear the ground quake as more and more
zucchinis erupt.
Dave Barry
~ ~
There Are No Happier Folks
Than Plant Lovers
And None More Generous
Than Those Who Garden.
author unknown
~ ~ ~
Gardening is cheaper than therapy
and you get tomatoes.
author unknown
~
that's all I have
signing off
nite, nite
 

15 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Boy that redmoney box is a great idea. people must be very trusting around there! Love all the quotes atthe end.Some made me smile.

MarmePurl said...

Self serve stands remind me of the good side of mandkind.
Have a great day Lynne!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Lynne, it is great to support your local farmers. I love the farmers markets and the roadside stalls. Our neighbor sells her eggs at the end of her driveway with a money box. The serve serve corn looks yummy. I think the birds are eating all my blueberries, there were not many ripe for me to pick. I still want to try out your recipes. Have a happy day and week ahead!

Liz said...

How much fun to have all of those farm stands around! I sure wish we had some of them around us. The sweetcorn stands are starting to pop up here and there! Great zucchini quotes! lol
Those blueberries look SO good!

babs said...

Love this post! Got my recipe out today for blueberry torte also!

Anonymous said...

We had a tomato stand many years ago. Help yourself to our homegrown tomatoes. Leave money at your own pleasure what ever you wish for the tomatoes. Have a great day.

Now we have markets in town on Tuesdays so that gentlemen has since closed his tomato
stand.

Stands show caring . Great takes.

This N That said...

We are very lucky and have lots of roadside stands around here. We also have several buildings that are farmers markets...Wow! Our corn was $.10 an ear two weeks ago. It's very yummy! The last time I picked blueberries was at the farm and I didn't get any :)

barb said...

Enjoyed your post today. We are enjoying all the fresh vegetables and fruit also. My stomach isn't used to all this fresh and kind of rumbles back at me. We enjoyed corn last night and cabbage the night before. Yikes.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

it all looks delicious and wish we had farm stands around here. the farmers' market doesn't have all that much either. my friend shucks corn, puts butter, salt, pepper, wraps in alum. foil and cooks in slow cooker for a few hours...wonderful!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I hate to say it, but it's doubtful that the cash box would last five minutes here in Southern California. My neighbor's husband across the street from us took his shoes off at the front door..and someone took them within the hour. A couple of months later..once again he slipped of his shoes before going in the house after mowing his lawn. Came out a couple of hours later to retrieve them and they were....Yep..gone!

It's such a neat thing to know there are still places that people trust and can be trusted. :) Loved this post, Lynne. Hugs!!!

Gail said...

It is wonderful they are so close.

Sarah Huizenga said...

You have to love the trusting nature of the farmer, if only we all could be like that this world would be a better place. We are off to our Farmer's Market this morning, I am hoping for corn.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oh, I'd love to have some of those blueberries! I love all the fresh veggies and fruit in summer and I usually buy mine from a roadside stand or the farmer's market. Everything always seems to taste much better than what you get at the grocery store.

Linda said...

Evening Lynne....
Thoroughly enjoyed this post....great pictoral to go along with the narration!
I also make Pizza that way! But I use goat cheese...
Try and buy from the locals whenever possible...our corn is really pricey this year...?
I have zuchinni ripe at the cottage...hope to enjoy it this weekend...
Enjoy the rest of your week..
Cheers!
Linda :o)
ps....love the quotes!

Anonymous said...

supreme
kevin durant shoes
goyard outlet
kawhi leonard shoes
curry shoes
supreme outlet
curry 8 shoes
off white outlet
curry 6
goyard bag